Ideal Treatments for Different Facial Wrinkles
Whether you’re a baby boomer trying to look younger or a millennial trying to prevent premature aging, Jefferson Plastic Surgery has a treatment for you. Our board-certified plastic surgeons use the latest procedures available to eliminate lines and smooth away unwanted wrinkles.
In order to get the best cosmetic results, our Philadelphia, PA cosmetic surgery specialists need to identify the type of wrinkles a patient has and then develop a treatment plan from there. Let’s go over the five different kinds of facial wrinkles and then go through the most popular options for treatment.
The Five Types of Facial Wrinkles
The five different kinds of facial wrinkles are as follows:
- Dynamic Wrinkles - Dynamic wrinkles are the various facial lines that become visible when your face makes certain expressions. These wrinkles are no longer visible when your face is at rest.
- Elastic Creases - Elastic creases are wrinkles caused by environmental factors, such as UV ray damage, air pollution, and smoke from cigars and cigarettes.
- Compression Wrinkles - Compression wrinkles develop when your face is pressed in a certain way for a long period of time. These types of wrinkles are most commonly associated with sleeping on your side with your face against a pillow.
- Atrophic Wrinkles - Atrophic wrinkles occur because of the reduced production of collagen and elastin in your skin. This is part of the natural aging process. Many age-related wrinkles are usually classified as atrophic wrinkles.
- Gravitational Folds - Gravitational folds are wrinkles caused by the natural drooping and sagging of the facial skin that occurs with age.
For fine lines and wrinkles, specially formulated facials can help rejuvenate the skin and promote better texture and suppleness. There are many kinds of facials, with different formulas that can be tailored to your needs.
Chemical peels can also work wonders for facial rejuvenation. These chemical formulas help remove damaged top layers of skin to promote the growth of softer, more refreshed skin that’s free of blemishes and wrinkles.
An ideal treatment option for dynamic wrinkles, BOTOX injections help freeze muscle contractions in the injection sites. This prevents dynamic wrinkles from becoming visible, smoothing out the skin of the face in the process. The results of BOTOX injections last for several months and can be repeated as needed.
Dermal Filler Injections
Dermal fillers are a wide range of cosmetic injectables that add volume to the injection sites. Dermal fillers can help fill in major lines, creases, and facial folds that would not otherwise respond to cosmetic skin care treatments. Many dermal fillers are collagen-based or hyaluronic acid-based, though there are many other active ingredients depending on the type of filler used.
Microdermabrasion is an excellent way to smooth out the surface of the skin, which includes removing fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and blemishes. The fine powder used against the skin also helps promote the growth of softer skin.
Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser skin treatments use advanced light technology to penetrate beyond the surface of the skin. The lasers can peel and resurface the topmost layer of your skin while promoting the growth of collagen and healthier, softer skin in the process.
Facial Plastic Surgery
If non-surgical treatment proves ineffective, there are plenty of facial plastic surgery procedures that can smooth those wrinkles away and tighten up the folds and drooping parts of your face. The traditional facelift, the brow lift, the lower face lift, and the neck lift can all work wonders.
Learn More About Cosmetic Facial Rejuvenation
To learn more about treating facial lines and wrinkles, be sure to contact a skilled cosmetic plastic surgeon. The team at Jefferson Plastic Surgery is here to help you look younger and more refreshed.