Should I Lose Weight before a Tummy Tuck?
If you have excessive loose skin after major weight loss, it’s important to speak with the Philadelphia, PA team at Jefferson Plastic Surgery. That hanging skin won’t go away on its own, which is why it’s so important to undergo tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty) to revise your body contour and figure. A tummy tuck will remove the unwanted skin that sags from the lower abdominal area, giving you a trimmer, slimmer, and more appealing frame in the process.
Before undergoing a tummy tuck, patients are encouraged to lose a little bit of weight. Let’s consider why this is a good idea and then offer a few tips on how to safely lose weight prior to the surgical procedure.
Why You Should Lose Weight Prior to Tummy Tuck
You may have lost a lot of weight to necessitate a tummy tuck already, but there’s a question of being at your ideal weight. The closer you can get to your ideal weight before tummy tuck, the better the overall results will be. This will allow us to remove as much unwanted skin as possible and help you have the trimmer frame you want.
How Much Weight Should I Lose?
There is no right answer for this. It will vary from patient to patient based on the current health and body composition. It’s important that patients achieve a healthy weight, however, which means that sudden weight loss and crash dieting should be avoided.
During your visit to the practice, we can discuss how much weight loss would be most ideal for you given your aesthetic goals.
Tips for Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck
To lose weight safely before tummy tuck surgery, consider the following tips:
- Start Months Ahead of Time - Losing weight in a meaningful way takes time. You should be planning your tummy tuck about six months before the actual surgical date, and focusing on wellness and weight loss in these initial pre-op stages.
- Don’t “Diet” - Diets are usually temporary and don’t last. You should avoid dieting in this sense and focus instead on lasting changes to your lifestyle that will lead to weight loss.
- Exercise Regularly - Exercise should be a part of your weekly routine. Consider strength training, cardio, and stretching. Develop an exercise plan that meets your needs and be consistent about it.
- Improve Your Nutrition - While diets are temporary, nutrition is a way of life. Focus on improving your nutrition. Keep processed foods to a minimum and try to incorporate more vegetables and fruits into your diet. Replace sugary beverages with water.
- Get Enough Sleep - Sleep is an important part of good overall health and weight management. Be sure to get enough sleep every night so your metabolism functions as it should and your body can recover from exercise.
- Find Friends and Support - Journeys like this can be tough, so be sure to speak with friends, family, and wellness specialists to help provide emotional and practical support as you lose weight.
Learn More about Body Contouring
To learn more about tummy tuck surgery and your many other options for body contouring and sculpting, be sure to contact our team of plastic surgeons and skin care specialists. We at Jefferson Plastic Surgery can answer your questions and address your concerns.